Founded in 1938, originally known as the Central Catholic Drill Team which was later renamed to Chaminade Guard about 1955. The team was named in honor of Fr William Joseph Chaminade, founder of the Society of Mary, the order that founded and operates CCHS. From the late 1950s thru the early part of the 1980s, the team consisted of a 40 man block formation, plus Commander, Executive Officer, Right Guide and Guidon Bearer. From the late 1950s thru the early 1970s the team was known as one of the best in the country. During this period, they were practically unstoppable, winning virtually every competition they entered. Competitors openly made comments such as “we were pretty good and thought we had a shot at winning a competition until we would see a bus pull in with the sign on the side’Chaminade Guard’, then we knew we were fighting for second place.” It was some of these rivals that gave the team the nickname, the Machine because of the machine-like precision the team displayed.